Saturday 10 April 2010

K&A with Shambles Miller

Glasgow's Campbell Miller, a.k.a Shambles Miller, is someone worth keeping your eye on. His "Shambles vs. The Dragonwizard" EP is a wee folk-pop gem! I caught up with him and asked him a few questions. Take it away Shambles.

Kowalskiy: Who is Shambles Miller?
Campbell: That could be a pretty deep question...as it is though, Shambles Miller is the kind of man who plays folk music, owns a lot of plaid shirts and enjoys a good sandwich.

Kowalskiy: How would you describe your music?
Campbell: I generally describe it as a collection of shambling folky noises, but I try to be pretty honest and if I feel strongly about something, I don't like to shy away from it in my music.

Kowalskiy: Who (or what) are your influences?
Campbell: I'd like to think i'm influenced by everything around me, but things which make me passionate or angry tend to get my creative juices flowing, hence songs about love and beer as well as the more political side. I think the only reason I haven't written a song about lunch is that I don't think my talents could do justice to my love for it.

Kowalskiy: What's the story behind your cracking "Shambles vs. The Dragonwizard" EP?
Campbell: Well, I recorded it last summer with my friend and lovely producer man, Jamie Hewitt. One of the first things I had in mind was the artwork, and like most of my ideas, once I'd thought of the cover being a scene of me fighting a dragon (ridden by a wizard) I couldn't let it go. I asked my friend Neil Slorance to design for me as he's a brilliant artist, and the rest is history! He also designed my guitar actually, I love it.

Alternative Answer: Last summer as I was on my travels through the countryside, a nasty wizard, jealous of my fine plaid shirt and voluminous/ridiculous haircut, challenged me to a duel. His weapon was a a big fuck-off dragon, mine an old guitar. Luckily I talked the dragon round with a fire-breathing little ditty and we became best pals. Then he ate the wizard. Afterwards, I wrote an EP which chronicled the events leading to the wizard-fight.

Kowalskiy: What would your ideal gig be?
Campbell: Ooooh, that is a tough one! I'm still just early in my career, so I wouldn't be playing stadiums or anything like that... I think my ideal gig would be (if the laws of time and space don't count):

Myself with a full band, including Neil Slorance (bass/double bass), Andrew Lindsay (guitars), Florence MacDonald (pretty much every other instrument) supporting 2000-era Red Hot Chili Peppers at the QMU, with Frank Turner also supporting and John Frusciante playing a solo set. I'd get to play with some of my favourite musicians in my home town on a stage where some amazing bands have played. Plus the beer is cheap.

Kowalskiy: Who would you like to see make an impact this year?
Campbell: Well, my friend Andrew Lindsay makes some really great folky pop, I'd love to see him gig more often. I'd also love to see Shirley Valentine play a lot more, she's one of the best singer-songwriters I've heard in a long time. Killing Susan are a really fun band to see, and so are Anavris. They work really hard so it'd be great to see them go even further. Kitty The Lion are already doing pretty well for themselves, but I'm looking forward to eventually hearing a full-length from them. Same goes for Julia and the Doogans. Oh and, of course, ME! That'd be nice.

Kowalskiy: What can we expect from Shambles Miller in the future?
Campbell: Well, hopefully i'll be recording another E.P during the summer and I'm planning to do a wee Scottish tour too. I just want to keep gigging, taking this as far as I can, meeting lovely new folk, and occasionally eating delicious new sandwiches.


My Best Friend Is An Outsider

Bandcamp (digital) Big Cartel (CD)

Also if you get a chance, check out his blog too! Shambles will be playing a couple of gigs in the coming weeks. Here's the details:

Upcoming Gigs
14th April - MacSorely's, Glasgow
20th April - The Liquid Ship, Glasgow

No comments:

Post a Comment